The Village Alarm Bell was removed from the belfry of the Old Town Hall building which was constructed in 1870. The bell was placed in front of the newly built Municipal Building in 1976.
The crack in the bell was the result of two local citizens ringing the bell in celebration of the ending of World War II.
The library which was made possible by donations from village and area residents. The library is housed in the former “Quaker Friends Church” on Winde
Among the earliest settlers to Rush Township were members of a Religious Society of Friends or Quakers. These settlers emigrated here from the Eastern states. The Friends Church was built in 1879 at a cost of $4245.00. Although the Friends Church was not a stop for the Underground Railroad, it did support local Abolitionists who helped the runaway slaves reach Canada.
The trip our forefathers made to this community one hundred seventy-five years ago is the idea behind this book. The courage and sacrifices of these men who have gone before, have been instrumental in the development of North Lewisburg,. From a wilderness and barren land we have come to be a community of prosperity and civilization, with a host of varied interests.
We have relied upon the Old Lewisburg Village Minute Books,- Middleton's History of Champaign County, 1917; Beds History of Champaign County 1881; old clippings from Goldie Millice's scrapbook; Reba Wilson's scrapbook, and accounts of events told by residents who can remember them. Thanks to all the many people. We are indebted for all their interesting information and valuable pictures which we have compiled, and now present to our readers. Please excuse any discrepancies or omissions as no offense was intended.Read More